Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Who said I can't ski?

Update photos!

Basically, I said that, but I was clearly wrong. I don't like to admit when I'm wrong, but this time it is worth it. I was away for about 4 days in France, in La Bresse resort in the Vosges mountains. I organised the trip for some trainees like me from the Commission. Obviously, I was very anxious to go there, hoping mostly that there would be people that ski worse than I do. Although at that point, the thought seemed totally unrealistic. Some people suggested that we don't take beginners, but I insisted on it, and finally it worked.

The background is that I had skied only two times in my life before. Once when I was 5 or so, and I wasn't good at it, and second time when I was 20 and I wasn't good at it. When I was 20 I was probably more interested in the ski monitors in the Alps. I found nothing worth mentioning, so I found no joy in skiing.

Last Thursday I found myself having difficulties in putting my skis on. Being less optimistic than my usual self, I thought that maybe by Sunday I will manage to put them on without trouble, and maybe I'll remember the things the monitors tried to teach me last time. Long time ago. That was when I started to be wrong. By the end of the morning, I was skiing better than ever in my life. I thought it strange. And I actually felt confortable doing it, which never happened before. By the end of the day, I was already bored with the easy sloples and went intermediate. It could be the nice people I was with that really tried to help me when I needed and were also so terribly patient. But in the end, I was not even lagging behind. I managed to do about 90% of all intermediate slopes (in blue). Several times. And I only have a bruise from the second day when I had to have my skis readjusted to my high level, cause they started to fly away when you least expected it. The day we rented them, I lied I was a beginner :-)

Since I didn't take my digital camera on the slopes, I have to wait till the other photos are put in electronic format. Then I can show you I was not kidding.

Now I am making plans of going skiing again very soon. Unfortunatelly Belgium only offers indoor slopes, cause the outdoor ones are closed for the moment. What a surprise. But one way or another, it's going to happen. Anyone needs ski lessons? I can teach you for a low price :-)

1 Comments:

At 8:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dana,

There is a whole lot of standing and not a lot of skiing happening in those photos!!!!

Where are the action shots and all those of you tumbeling down the mountain????

:-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home