Thursday, May 24, 2007

5 years

... since I was in the UK. I can hardly believe it myself. Not only I have the impression that nothing has changed there, but I also think I haven't changed either. Ok, maybe a little bit.

Of course, it was a great long weekend. Even good weather most of the time, except for Thursday. But even that was better than some normal Belgian days...

Strange to be back at the school, but it felt like I was there yesterday. However, I know that I wouldn't really go back there, except for occasional visits. A lot of people remembered me, which was a surprise after that long, since staff tends to come and go all the time. I can't help it, but I have to quote from the headmistress, who said: "Yes, I remember you. You were the business efficient one". The people I didn't really get along with (ok, one person only!) were so fakely happy to see me. But again, the quote above made my day, so I couldn't care less about the rest.
Here's a view over the school library building (the round one) and some of the boarding houses in the background:

These are Chelsea football fans in Baker Street tube station:


Tube passing...

Kensington Palace:

Hyde Park rose garden with Nadja:
Queue at the Romanian consulate in London for voting in the president impeachment referendum. It actually took far less then expected. I am of course a model citizen :-)

Camden Market on a Saturday:


London Eye, where I actually have never been. I never felt like a tourist in London, so I stayed away from all (expensive) tourist attractions.


Swan taking off at the Rickmansworth aquadrome. I was lucky enough to go there exactly when they had the annual Ricky boat festival:

Overall, I do regret not going back earlier, due to my prolonged political strike against the UK maintaining visas for Romanians. Mostly because:

- I missed the (window!) shopping and losing incredible amounts of time in charity shops or bookstores

- I was kept away from decent Guinness

- I missed being called Miss Popp

- I missed the fun in checking out English blokes... (they never proved any good, but it's good to do research in the name of science)

- I missed my dear old friends that kept me away from starvation (ok, just one: thanks, Nadja!) and always knew the way around London (see, Nadja, I'm keeping my mouth shut! ;-)

- I missed the fish-Fridays, and the lazy Sundays

Absolutely worth it, and I won't wait that long to go back again.

3 Comments:

At 1:14 pm, Blogger Nadja said...

So I just assume that you got home safe and sound. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay back at RMS. It was so good to see you and I cannot understand how we managed without seeing each other more regularly. I have not finished my post on our weekend yet, as there is still the "YEAR 1" post due, but don't forget to send me your pictures!

Big hug and thanks for "keeping your mouth shut" :-)
Nadja

 
At 1:18 pm, Blogger Christian said...

I already looked for a post on Nadja's blog but if I find some information here, that's just fine!:-) Of course I'll insist on additional information about "the secret"... hehehe

BTH, I like the pics very much. It seems you have artistic talent, too.

Hugs, Christian

P.S.: Congratulations for your driving license and car!

 
At 8:29 pm, Blogger Nadja said...

What secret is he talking about???

:-))))))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home